Saturday 24 November 2012

Poussin with Chorizo and Cornbread stuffing


I saw a version of this recipe on "The best thing I've ever made" on the food network, it was cooked by a Mexican chef called Aaron Sanchez. There were a few ingredients that he used that I could not get hold of, such as a Cornish hens and various chillies indigenous to Mexico, so I used my head and my cooks instinct and adapted the recipe to encompass ingredients that are readily available in my local supermarket. 
 I had watched this recipe being cooked quite a long time ago but had never got round to testing it, but because I had some fantastic cornbread left over from our chilli con carne extravaganza I now had the perfect excuse to test it out. I have used Poussin in this recipe but this would work very well with a large corn fed chicken, or if you are totally sick of the same old Christmas sage and onion stuffed turkey recipe, double the stuffing and spice up your Christmas. Serve this with roasted butternut squash, red onions and red peppers and some wonderfully peppery rocket. I'm so glad I tested this recipe, I salute you Aaron Sanchez!

You will need:
2 corn fed Poussin's
75g of chopped red onion
100g of chopped shallots
25g of chopped garlic
25g of butter
2 tsp of fresh oregano
125g of soft fresh chorizo
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
1/2 tsp of sweet smoked paprika
1/2 tsp of chipotle chilli powder
275g of crumbed cornbread
1/2 tsp of maldon salt
2 tbsp of chopped corriander

For the glaze:
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
1/2 tsp of sweet paprika
1 tsp of chipotle chilli powder
the juice of one lime
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of honey
1 tsp of maldon salt

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c.
In a large frying pan melt the butter and olive oil for the stuffing in the pan and fry the shallots, red pepper, oregano, cumin, chilli powder, paprika and crumbled chorizo.
 Fry until the peppers and shallots have softened and the chorizos oil has seeped into the vegetables. Add the chopped garlic and fry for a couple of minutes until the garlic flavour has softened but not browned. Add the crumbed cornbread and coriander and mix well, season with the salt and remove from the heat to cool.
When the stuffing has cooled fill each Poussin with the stuffing until almost full, it needs to be loosely packed so that the heat can circulate inside of the bird.
Skewer the cavity of the bird shut. mix all the ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and then rub over the Poussin's.

Cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving. The best way to check to see if the Poussin is cooked is to cut the skin where the leg and breast meet and if the juices run clear it is perfect.

No comments: