Friday 28 September 2012

New Zealand Scallop sandwich



I know that a scallop sandwich may seem like a strange thing to write about, but I really felt like I had to share this. I discovered this in a little town called Kaikoura, which is a whale watching town on the East coast of the South Island, New Zealand. At the time I was completely ravanous and had just spotted a little burger van (or so I thought) along the coastal road. How very wrong I was, it was only when I got a little closer that I discovered that they were selling the freshest scallop sandwiches cooked al la plancha and lobsters straight from the sea.
 It seems like an extremely simple thing to make, but sometimes the simplest foods are the best, if the ingredients are top quality, there is very little that you need to do to it, subsequently there is very little that can go wrong. It still amazes me that street food in Britain, most certainly in the North is lack lustre at best, I would love to see a scallop sandwich van at my local market, simply the best fast food on the planet.

Makes two giant sandwiches
You will need:
2 large garlic cloves
3 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon of maldon salt (seems like a lot but you need it)
1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped chervil
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped chives
the juice of 1/4 of a lemon
roughly 20 scallops
1 sliced ripened avocado
Rocket
A freshly baked granary bread loaf
In a pestle and mortar crush the garlic using the salt as an abrasive, add the butter, pepper and herbs and mix well. Dry the scallops well so that they can achieve a little colour. Place the butter into a hot frying pan and add the scallops, fry for 2 minutes either side until the scallops have a little colour on them, squeeze a little lemon over the scallops. Dip the sliced bread into the garlic butter and lay rocket leaves onto the bread, top with sliced avocado and the scallops, dip the lid of the sandwich into the butter and place on top of the scallops. Eat fast and with a loved one, it's really messy!


No comments: