Sunday 8 September 2013

Coconut cake


 I wanted to make a celebration cake for a few reasons, I have made it to celebrate 
my first birthday of blogging(I know I thought I would never get there), I have also made it passed my target of over 10,000 views (thank you regulars readers!), also because my wonderful husband has FINALLY finished his long awaited first album, which ironically is call "Ett" meaning one in Swedish! It only seemed that such achievements deserve a double celebration, (however small my achievement may be, there is always reason for cake)! For those of you who read regularly you will know that I am usually the face behind the lens, I prefer to let the food do the talking, but because it is a special occasion my husband insisted I step out of the shadows and show that there is a head attached to these typing hands! No longer am I an illusive blogger, I am Annika Wardale, food junkie and all round babbler!   
The image that you see is my light as a feather coconut cake, the best part is that it is fat free! Yes you heard right, it most certainly is not calorie free, so do not 
expect to eat six slices and lose the pounds, it ain't going to happen, but I suppose it is half way between virtuous living and gluttony! So here is my light as a feather coconut cake in honour of my hubby and my first year of blogging! Happy birthday  Annika's Apron, skål! 

You will need:
For the sponge:
100g of plain flour
100g of corn flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
6 eggs
250g caster sugar
2 tsp of vanilla extract
60ml of coconut flavoured liqueur 
1 tsp coconut extract or essence

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees c. Grease and line two eight inch cake tins with grease proof paper or baking parchment! Make sure to line the sides too. 
Whisk the eggs and sugar together until it has turned pale and thick, it will double in volume and create a ribbon effect as the mixture falls back on its self. Sieve together the flours and baking powder into a bowl and set to one side. Whisk the extracts into the voluminous egg mixture followed by the dry ingredients, only mix until just combined, finally add the liqueur and give the batter one final mix. Divide the batter between two tins and bake in the oven for 35-40 mins or until you can insert a skewer and it comes out clean.

For the frosting:(7 minute frosting)
You will need:
Five egg whites
200g of caster sugar
60ml of coconut liqueur
1 tsp of vanilla bean paste

This particular icing is done using a double boiler or Bain Marie, this basically is a bowl sat over a pan of simmering water, take care now to let the bowl touch the water! 
 Place the eggs and the sugar in the bowl and begin to whisk the ingredients with an electric whisk until the mixture has reached firm peaks, this should take 7 minutes, when the frosting is thick and glossy and can hold a firm peak whisk in the vanilla and liqueur. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Finishing touches:
1 cup of freshly grated coconut (you can buy this frozen, just make sure it is well dried) 
100ml of coconut liqueur 
To assemble:

Place one of the sponges onto a cake platter and pour 50ml of the coconut liqueur onto 

the sponge to moisten it, then spread a quarter of the frosting onto the sponge.
 Top with the second sponge and pour the remaining 50ml of coconut liqueur onto the second sponge, spread a scant amount of the frosting all around the cake, this is called a crumb coat, then apply a thicker coating of the frosting, the crumb coat will help the second layer to adhere to the cake and leave a smooth finish. 
Finish with the cup of freshly grated coconut, the coconut will be a little wet so dry it well on kitchen paper, then sprinkle it onto the top of the cake and press in onto the sides.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Keep up the great work :)

Anonymous said...

Came to your blog while looking for kathi roll

Good work , really

truly international and detailed carefully

Thanks and keep going. :-)