Sunday 22 September 2013

Cardamom, white chocolate and salted cashew nut cookies


I had to blog about these cookies, partly to show that baking with children does not have to be as difficult as people think and partly in protest against pointless cupcake packet mixes for kids, I just think opening a packet teaches your children absolutely nothing about ingredients or food, what's worst is that you have no idea what is in those packets.
 Every once in a while I have no problem with my son having a little treat especially when I know what has gone into it, what's more is that my son absolutely loves to bake with his mum, when I show him his apron he gets so excited that I think he may actually take off like a rocket. 
 Regular readers will know that I'm not about to hang up my gourmet apron, just because they are cookies it doesn't mean to say that they have to be conventional or boring, I have to put my little gourmet twist on everything! 
  My son adores white chocolate and I think that cardamom and white chocolate are the best of friends also it's a little nod to my Swedish family who like me are cardamom crazy, the salted cashew nuts help to balance the sweetness and add texture to the cookie!
 I have to say they were absolutely fantastic, I think my son has great potential, Jamie Oliver in the making possibly? Get ready Jamie we are coming for you! 

You will need:
125g of salted butter
100g of light brown sugar
125g of caster sugar
1 egg
200g of white chocolate
75g of salted cashew nuts
1/2 tsp of maldon sea salt
1 tsp of vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 tsp of freshly ground cardamom seeds 
225g of self-raising flour


First preheat the oven to 180 degrees c.
Cream together the butter and sugars, this can be done in a machine or in a bowl with a hand whisk, once combined add the egg and vanilla, once the egg has been incorporated add the flour, cardamom powder and salt and mix until just combined.
 Lastly chop the white chocolate into chunks and roughly chop the nuts, add this to the cookie batter and mix until well distributed.
Divide the dough into 10 balls, this will make huge cookies, if you want something more delicate then divide the batter into twenty balls.
place the cookie balls onto a line baking tray, do cook any more than four at a time as they do spread out quite a lot. Bake for ten minutes. Allow to cool a little, I know it's hard, but patience is a virtue in this case.

No comments: