Sunday 14 October 2012

Chilli Jam



I know the words Chilli and Jam may not go together for some people, nor does it seem like a very appetising pairing, but if you love chillies like I do, this may possibly change your life. Give me a strong blue cheese and some chilli jam any day of the week. A lot of my friends are under the impression that because I love to cook I would be very picky and expect the creme de la creme of cuisine, however I'm the total opposite. Yes I love good food, but simplicity is often the best, you can keep your fancy cheffy ways because when it boils down to it quality wins over technique every time. I happen to think the heat and sweetness of this jam compliments any strong cheese. Jam is not to be feared this is hugely forgiving and can be used in such a lot of things. This is for all you chilli addicts.

You will need:
1kg of jam sugar (with added pectin) 
50ml of water
150ml of white vinegar
2 tablespoons of deseeded scotch bonnet chillies and finely chopped
2 finely chopped red romano peppers
3 tbsp of chopped garlic
2 1/2 tsp of maldon sea salt
1 tsp of chopped marjoram or thyme
the juice of one lime

Place all of the above items into a pan and cook for 20-25 minutes on a medium heat. That's all folks.

1 comment:

Elizabeth, Sydvestjylland. said...

It's time I made a new batch of chilli jam so am going to try this recipe this week. Thanks Annika!